Science of Invasive Species
- Download: The Science of Invasive Species
Although the accelerating introduction and spread of invasive species is among the most serious of threats to global biodiversity, governments and many environmental groups have only begun to address the issue. The protection of biodiversity depends on bolstering the science of invasion biology, and ensuring that its findings quickly lead to more effective policies to reduce harmful impacts.
The Science of Invasive Species by the Union of Concerned Scientists provides a general overview of the science and conservation issues surrounding invasive species, including a look at:
- the nature and magnitude of the threat;
- the numbers of species involved and patterns in their spread;
- specific examples illustrating how invasive species arrive and their environmental impacts;
- their economic costs;
- the ways they are managed; and,
- a number of current “hot” topics in invasion science.
Last Revised: 04/08/04